The Chair, Jacquie Westwood, along with the councillors and clerk at the Birling Parish Council, are all deeply saddened at the news of the death of Her Majesty The Queen today. They extend their condolences and thoughts to the whole Royal Family at this sad time.
The flag at All Saints Church will be flying at half mast and a book of condolence will be available for parishioners to sign inside the church at times to be advised. Please check with the church.
Any floral tributes should be placed on the steps leading up to the church.
Birling – a small village with a big heart
Birling is a village and civil parish in the Tonbridge and Malling district of Kent, England, about seven miles west of Maidstone. According to the 2001 census, it had a population of 430 increasing to 437 at the 2011 Census: 224 male and 213 female. It is south-west of the nearby town of Snodland and only 37 miles away from the capital.
The origin of the name 'Birling' is unclear, some sources believe that it signifies 'Bærla’s family' with the 'ing' portion of the word coming from the Old English '-ingas' suffix meaning family or followers. Other sources mention Birling and other place names with similar spellings with the definition: 'place of the descendants of the cup-bearer or butler'
Although there is no real mention of the village of Birling pre-Norman Conquest, it features in the Doomsday Book which was written in 1086. At the time it was written, there were 30 households, 12 acres of meadow and pasture 50 cattle. It also mentions the All Saints church, but major developments on the building were made around 400 years later. Around this time, a vast proportion of Kent and the surrounding areas was in possession of Odo of Bayeux, Earl of Kent. Odo was the half brother of William the Conqueror.