Birling Parish Council
Monday, 12 December 2022
If you do need NHS help and you’re not sure where to go, visit www.stopthinkchoose.co.uk for a list of local services, including urgent treatment centres.
- Keep your bedroom windows closed on a winter’s night; breathing cold air can increase the risk of chest infections.
- Exercise is good for you all year round and it can keep you warm in winter.
- Keep moving if you can, this will help keep you warm. Try not to sit for more than an hour, get up and walk around, make a hot drink and spread housework throughout the day.
- Wear a few layers of thin clothing rather than one thick layer; this will trap the heat better to keep you warm. Thin layers of clothes made from cotton, wool or fleecy fibres are particularly good for maintaining body heat.
- Wear shoes with a good grip to prevent slips and falls. Make sure you have spare medication in case you are unable to go out.
- Food is a vital source of energy and helps to keep your body warm so have plenty of hot food and drinks.
- Aim to include five daily portions of fruit and vegetables. Tinned and frozen vegetables count towards your five a day.
- Prepare for cold weather. Stock up on tinned and frozen foods, warm clothes and any medication so you don’t have to go out too much when it’s cold or icy.
- Power and utility companies have schemes which make at-risk groups a priority for reconnection following power cuts. Find out if you meet the criteria and if so, sign up. Visit https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/priority-services-register-people-need for more information
For advice on energy bills and energy efficiency, contact Simple Energy Advice: 0800 444202 / https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/
- Find your way through to the cost of living support available with Kent Together at www.kent.gov.uk/kenttogether
More information is available about how to keep yourself and others safe during cold weather through www.kent.gov.uk/winterhealth
Find Birling Parish Council
Birling, West Malling, Kent